Tourists and visitors can claim refund on VAT paid on purchases they made during their stay in the UAE. Recovery of
payment will be done through a fully integrated electronic system which connects retailers registered in the ‘Tax Refund for Tourists Scheme’ with all ports of entry and exit from the UAE
How to shop Tax Free?
- The tourist makes an eligible purchase.
- The shop assistant captures information from the tourist’s Passport or GCC National ID card using the solution (this should be the same Passport or GCC National ID that was used to enter the UAE).
- The shop assistant enters the transaction purchase
- The Tax Free Tag is attached to the back of the sales receipt.
- The Tax Free Tag is scanned to link the transaction with the tourist’s Passport or GCC National ID
- You must validate your claim at the Validation Point when leaving the
Validating your Goods
How to validate your goods ?
- Before you check in your luggage, take the goods and tagged receipt to Planet’s Validation
- Scan or enter your passport number or GCC National ID
- Follow the instructions on screen, and if you get a green light, you’ve completed the validation
- If you get a red light, contact one of our Planet staff who are standing next to the validation point for
- Choose your preferred refund method – credit/ debit card or cash.
- Planet processes the refund
“If choosing cash refund, the maximum refund amount is AED 7,000/- per tourist. Any additional value over this amount must be paid to a credit/debit card.”
Process to avail – Tourist Tax Refund
- You must purchase from a retailer who has registered for “Tax Refund Scheme for Tourist”.
- You must present a valid passport upon request of Tax refund for every
- A Tax-Free tag will be issued by the retailer for the receipt.
- You must keep all receipts with the Tax-Free tag on the back of the receipt and must validate the transaction at the point of exit during departure (airport). Visit the Planet validation point: For airports, this is before checking in and going through
- Finally, present your receipts or tax invoice with Tax- free Tag, credit cards you used to make the purchase and passport at the validation point to confirm your refunds. You will be refunded through your credit card or cash.
How much time do I have to complete the procedure?
Your Tax Free Tag needs to be validated within 90 days of the purchase date. For instance: a form issued on 1st of April should be validated by 29th of June. If this is not done, the Tax Free Tag expires, and the refund cannot be claimed.
How to track your Tax Refund?
1. Open your smartphone’s camera app
2. Point it at the QR code on the Tax Free tag
3. Open the URL link that appears on your smartphone’s web browser.
One of the following refund statuses will then be shown :
- Issued – Your Tax Free Tag has been issued by the store, but you have not yet validated it at one of the exit points
- Export validated – Your refund is either: Ready to be collected if you selected “cash”, or is on its way if you selected “card”
- Waiting for goods validation – Goods must be inspected at the validation point before leaving the UAE.
- Payment in progress – Your refund is being processed and will be sent to your debit or credit card provider within three weeks days of validation.
- Paid – Your refund has been issued to your card, or paid to you in
- Cancelled – Your Tax Free Tag has been cancelled, which could be due to a number of
- Declined – Your Tax Free Tag has been declined after inspection, which could be due to a number of reasons.
We’re on the Web!
Visit us at:
107, 1st Floor NBQ Building Bur juman – 27430
+971 4 3795200